Worksheet: The story of stuff
- What are the three stages of the things we have?
- Why is it a system is crisis?
- What is the most important thing missing?
- Are there some people more important than others? Who are they?
- What is the relationship between the corporation and the government?
- What is our first limit? Why is it happening?
- What do Western countries do to cope with the limitation of resources?
- What happens to raw materials when they enter the stage of production?
- Which food has the highest level of toxic substances?
- Who are the people mostly affected by toxins?
- Apart from the products, what else is being wasted?
- Where do the corporations do with the dirtiest factories?
- What does the word distribution imply?
- How can the corporation keep the prices low?
- Why aren’t we really paying the price for the stuff we buy?
- Where and how is coltan produced? Why is it used?
- Do you think we can be defined by what we consume (cars, mobiles, clothes, etc)?
- What is Lebow’s idea of our economic system?
- What is the ultimate purpose of our economy? Which do you think it should be?
- What is planned obsolescence? Can you give one example?
- What is perceived obsolescence? Can you give one example?
- What is the aim of fashion?
- Does consumption make people happier?
- Why are people more and more unhappy?
- What are the two ways to treat the garbage?
- What is so bad about incineration?
- What are the two reasons why recycling is not enough?
- Name two ways in which some people are trying to change the system.
Topics for an oral presentation:
These are the topics for you to surf the internet in order to prepare an oral presentation. I have given you the first link to start with:
The production of coltan: http://www.cellular-news.com/coltan/
- The power of corporations: http://www.globalissues.org/issue/50/corporations
- Neocolonialism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocolonialism
- Toxins and food: http://chriskresser.com/9-steps-to-perfect-health-1-dont-eat-toxins
- Unhealthy working conditions: http://www.studentworldassembly.org/page.php?url=/178242936/workers039_rights.html
- planned obsolescence: http://www.apfelkraut.org/2011/03/the-untold-story-of-planned-obsolescence/
- incineration http://www.no-burn.org/section.php?id=84